Can Dog Eat Grapes (Video)

Can dog eat grapes and are grapes poisonous to dogs? What’s really true? There are various evaluations by veterinary authorities to get to the bottom of the cause of grape poisoning in dogs. Unfortunately, there is no exact knowledge about the exact active ingredient in the grape.

?➡️ Are ? mushrooms poisonous to dogs?

It is a fact that the consumption of grapes leads to severe poisoning in many dogs, including acute kidney failure. However, this is directly related to the amount of grapes consumed. The dose makes the poison here. For example, 10-30 grapes can already be very dangerous for a 5 kg dog, while for a 20 kg dog the number rises to 40-120 grapes.

Dogs react differently to grapes

A scientific study from the USA retrospectively evaluated the data of 43 dogs from the Animal Poison Control Center that had previously eaten a high number of grapes, raisins or sultanas.

Most dogs suffered from severe symptoms of poisoning. However, ten dogs quickly recovered after a short period of nausea and showed no further symptoms. The authors of the evaluation estimate that sensitivity to grapes and raisins varies within the dog population. However, when dogs react to grapes, the symptoms are very severe.

?➡️ Toby, the Maremma ? Dog that Guards ? Ducks ( Video )

How do you recognize the symptoms of grape poisoning in dogs?

The American study describes the symptoms of grape poisoning very precisely. Vomiting occurred in 100% of the dogs, followed by lethargy (77%) and loss of appetite (72%).

Diarrhoea and reduced urine production occurred in only half of the dogs, and pain and uncoordinated movements in only a quarter. Vomiting was definitely the most common symptom, occurring in 81% of dogs within 24 hours and often revealing undigested raisins or grapes.

However, the data collected is no guarantee that your dog will not also show other symptoms. In any case, you should go to the vet immediately if you notice that your dog has eaten grapes or suspect that he has.

Important: Always ask your vet, before take action!